BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Changes


The American Bullfrog


These days my life consists of buying enough air fresheners to cover animal smells in the Science Lab. It seems to be always on my mind. Or keeping antibacterial liquid to clean little junior-high hands after Bertha, Charlie, Carmela and the tadpoles leave their marks. But I wouldn't trade it because those hands represent our future, my future, and I have a small time slot in this life to enjoy my BIG opportunity to be their teacher. I happen to be one of those weird people who absolutely love teaching junior highers.

It would be a perfect world if EVERYONE enjoyed their current job, but we all know that this isn't the case. Sometimes we are at a job until we "find our niche in life." Sometimes a job is used as a stepping stone to THE job. Sometimes we just do the best we can because we need gas in the car. These days, we can find a little of ALL of that in our churches, circles of friends, etc, BUT the key as a Christian is contentment.

Last night we had a LUAU for the ladies of our church, and I sat and chatted with a former teacher of our school who is semi-retired but still comes around now and again to substitute for us. I listened to her stories of people who filled my past, people who at some point were an influence on my life when I was a kid. This woman taught school all those years while rearing her own children, and made such a difference. How does someone teach 6th graders for SO LONG and not tire out? Contentment.

The American bullfrog is just plain gross. I really can't believe that the 8 tadpoles in my room will turn out to look like that ugly picture up top. I'm not sure how I will fake the kids out in my Science classes and hold the things, but I'll have to find the nerve. Even though they are yucky looking, though, we all are anticipating the "change" because the development has been really fun. We have watched those back legs form, then the knees, now the indentions for front legs. It's coming.  But I have enjoyed studying the frog for a little more than just his "change." He is a content creature.

Bullfrogs adapt well to whatever environment they find themselves in. Scientists believe that one reason this is true is because of where they came from, meaning: they swam with fish and other aquatic life in their first "round of life" and learned to work under new circumstances that they carry the same habits into their second "round of life." Oh, that we would do that as Christians.
One of my mentors used to tell her students and workers who helped her, "Never forget where you came from." That means, don't forget that you were poor once you get rich and have pocket money. Help others financially. Don't forget that you were unsaved and on your way to hell before Christ richly saved you. Live your life for Him in gratitude. Don't forget that you used to "need" when you are now filled. Reach out and be a need-filler.  Don't forget that you wanted whatever you NOW have so badly. Be satisfied. Adapt. Make it.

My parents have been married 46 years. I can truly say that it is because they have learned to be content. They just deal with life. I've learned so much from them. We all admire people who are "in it for the long haul." It's Scriptural, Jesus did it, and one day in Heaven we will see just how important it is for us to be satisfied NOW with what God threw in our paths as we are constantly pushing ourselves to do more for Him.

PHILIPPIANS 4:11-13
11Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
 12I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
 13I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

3 comments:

Vilisi said...

This post blesses my heart. I happen to actually love teaching as well, although my favourite lot is year 13, those students that are doing their last year of high school.

I appreciate your realistic look at the reasons we do the jobs we do. And yes you are absolutely right about contentment.It is an important requirement for peace and happiness in one's life. Godliness and contentment are indeed great gain.
Thank you for this insightful post.
Blessings. :)

Anonymous said...

Lots of good reading here, thanks! I had been researching on yahoo when I identified your article, I’m going to add your feed to Google Reader, I look forward to more from you.

sharon said...

I hear your heart but God knows your heart and your soul! Your article is a a bright spot for the day.