BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 11, 2012

Swimming Upstream



The American Alligator is beautiful, isn't he? Equally as dangerous, he brings fear to most people, including myself, upon sight. There is nothing soft and cuddly about the alligator, but plenty of his demeanor speaks of control, intimidation, and power. I will tell you from experience that alligators will wait you out, and just because they disappear from the surface doesn't mean they are gone. My dad and I have experienced a real annoying bull gator at our fishing hole, scaring the fish away as he rests under the water waiting for our bait. We might as well go home when he gets in that position, because the fish will stay away.

However, in Florida, most watering holes will have a gator around somewhere if the pond or lake is large enough. You get used to swimming with them, boating with them, skiing with them, and fishing AROUND them. It sounds scary, but I've got teenage boys in my class who have learned to do all their water activities with the ugly things--they don't let the gator stop their fun. BUT, they pay attention to where they are at all times, and they don't mess with them.

When my sister Sheri and I were young, my grandma partly owned a lake house on Lake Joe. Each house had a dock, and we loved to swim around the dock. The bottom of the lake was green and slimy and "hairy" with kelp, and I can still smell it 35 years later as if it was yesterday. Grandma would fish at the end of the dock and tell us when the gator was coming so we could hurry up and climb up the steps to the dock and get out of the lake. It was fine to swim as long as you have someone up high keeping a lookout. The rule was: no swimming without grandma. Trust me, we didn't want to break that rule.

The Bible tells us in Psalm 3 that God is our shield and protector, and He hears us when we cry out to Him. We don't have to be afraid--AS LONG AS WE LET HIM BE IN CONTROL.

But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah. I laid me down and slept ; I awaked ; for the LORD sustained me. I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.

Recently my mentor said to me, "Stephanie, do you believe God?"
Humbly I responded with, "Yes, Ms. Belinda, I believe God." I knew where she was headed.
"Then you either believe that God is in control or He isn't."

That is exactly it. We get afraid of what we know is OUT there--the devil--but he cannot be in every place at once. He isn't OMNIPRESENT like our God;he is only like the alligator. Dangerous, yes, but he can be spotted and watched and avoided, IF we have the ALMIGHTY on our side doing all the watching. We can't swim in this world without HIM.

I had a dream not too long ago. My sister and I were adults living on a houseboat, and my parents were visiting. Not sure what brought about the catastrophe, but my mom showed up to help my sister who was stranded. It was night time, and against my better judgment, I jumped into the water to swim out to my sister. I remember swimming upstream, and I was getting nowhere. My mom took a speedboat to get to my sister, while I found myself now stranded. I was looking at snakes and alligators all around me, and I realized that I needed to stop thrashing around and get in the stream of things and start swimming. I survived the dream, thankfully. However, I awakened with a burning thought--"Stephanie, stop swimming upstream."

We all find ourselves in danger spiritually sometimes, and when that happens we would do well to identify it. For me, I have a lot of change going on around me, and I felt that I was sinking in the depths of despair. In reality, I just wasn't trusting God. I was thrashing around for a couple of months trying to figure out alternative methods when all along I just needed to get back into the stream of life and let God be my lookout and guide me. It isn't easy to do, but it can be done. I hope that this can help one of my friends who is struggling today.

Psalm 4 made all the difference for me. Read it.

Hear me when I call , O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.
O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah.
But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him.
Stand in awe , and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still . Selah.
Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.
There be many that say , Who will shew us any good? LORD, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.
Thou hast putgladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased .
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep : for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.

1 comments:

sharon said...

Great Blog, Stephanie! Good illustrations and application. Spoke to me.